Monday, March 15, 2010

Vegan Freaks

I had to write briefly regarding a book I was reading.

The intent of the authors was to help make Vegans feel less like freaks and to try and get people on the verge of being Vegan-to actually be Vegan.

They based all of their writing on Ethical Veganism.

Contrary to making me want to be Vegan, I found myself thinking, "Hell, I don't want to be like these assholes!"

They stated clearly they did not feel they were superior to anyone, and yet their words were riddled with a superiority complex, constantly saying how horrible anyone is who eats meat or any animal products at all. How the "rational person" knows it is a bad thing to do for all involved.

Implications that made me want to get together the biggest baddest group of carnivorous people to kick their butts.

I agree that the industry standards that are in place are cruel to animals and I certainly have never meant to promote them or cruelty in any sense by eating any animal products, but apparently I was doing just that according to this book.

Despite letting people know and constantly striving to be a better person, eating organic, cage-free, and local foods--I, in their eyes, am not rational.

So, despite them ruining a perfectly good thing---I decided to go Vegan again for various reasons although I doubt I will ever call myself an "ETHICAL Vegan" which would automatically put anyone near me that is not Vegan--unethical. I am doing this for myself primarily. I don't judge what people eat--this is my journey.

They also compared a few things which I don't feel should be compared. Yes, I know animals have central nervous systems and feel pain-humans have always eaten meat. It's been a part of the evolutionary chain--even Chimpanzee's eat meat when it's accessible.

How is the Holocaust like animal husbandry? How is the way a cow treated the same as a woman that was raped? How is our agricultural system the same as Slavery? These are comparisons they made, but regardless how they phrased them--I could not see their point. Another irrationality on my part, I'm sure..

what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment